> On May 9, 2017, at 10:30 AM, Dan McDonald <dan...@omniti.com> wrote:
>
> When I get home I'll provide more details, but you should try bloody or still
> in beta r151022.

Well shoot.  It appears I have pretty much the same problem in OmniOS bloody
(and therefore r151022):

root@ubuntu-14-04-b:~# ksh93
# echo "Hello, world."
^D
^C
# ls /
bin   dev  home  lib64  mnt     opt   root  sbin  sys     tmp  var
boot  etc  lib   media  native  proc  run   srv   system  usr

^D
^C#
#

Any command I type that's builtin just stops.  Any command that forks outputs,
but doesn't seem to properly exit.

Ouch... and when I try it again from scratch, it hangs per the original report.
 And worse, ONE TIME (can't reproduce) it seemed to runaway with spawning
itself.  Apparently if the first thing you type is a builtin or just RETURN,
you enter a state where you can amp-off processes, but the shell itself seems
to wedge until you hit ^C.  If you enter a real process right off the bat,
ksh93 goes on a slow forking spree... well, sometimes.  Other times, hitting ^C
in the hung shell will return you.

I wonder if I mismerged or forgot to merge something from SmartOS?

I also wonder if this mismerge or omission happened early on in the prior
bloody cycle?  It's going to be hard to tell.

Whatever ksh93 is doing, it appears to be doing it in LX userspace, too:

bloody(~)[0]% ptree `pgrep ksh93`
493   /usr/sbin/sshd
  9511  /usr/sbin/sshd -R
    9515  /usr/sbin/sshd -R
      9516  -tcsh
        9555  sudo zlogin lx1
          9556  zlogin lx1
            9557  /bin/login -h zone:global -f root
              9566  -bash
                9622  ksh93
bloody(~)[0]% sudo mdb -k
scsi_vhci zfs sata sd ip hook neti sockfs arp usba xhci stmf stmf_sbd mm lofs
random crypto idm nfs cpc ufs logindmux ptm ipc ]
> ::ps !grep ksh
R   9622   9566   9622   9557      0 0x4a014000 ffffff1983ee5000 ksh93
> ffffff1983ee5000::ps -t
S    PID   PPID   PGID    SID    UID      FLAGS             ADDR NAME
R   9622   9566   9622   9557      0 0x4a014000 ffffff1983ee5000 ksh93
        T  0xffffff1955982c60 <TS_ONPROC>
> 0xffffff1955982c60::findstack
stack pointer for thread ffffff1955982c60: ffffff007ae157f0
  ffffff007ae15f10 0x200000()

And I've no good way to know what it's doing, as the illumos-native tools
aren't giving me enough data.

Sorry,
Dan