For what it’s worth I’ve seen the same error message on a Dell server that
happened to have 10TB-drives (not the boot disks!) that was formatted using
4104-bytes sectors in order to support the T10-PI/DIF & T10-DIF standards. The
errors started to occur when we replaced the RAID controller with an HBA. Non
512/4096-bytes sectors apparently confused the boot loader when scanning the
drives for the boot zpool. This was on a FreeBSD system though. The solution
was to perform a low level reformatting of the drives in to standard 4096 byte
sectors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Integrity_Field
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Integrity_Field>

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/41548

http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/storage-technology/sas-vs.-sata-4.html
<http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/storage-technology/sas-vs.-sata-4.html>

—
[Lı.U] System Administrator ITI-NET IT.LiU.SE +46-13-28 2786