Hi guys,

Can someone please clarify this matter? Does this boot problem apply only to Advanced Format SAS drives or also to their SATA counterparts? And what does the "native" mean: is that "4kB physical AND 4kB logical block size" as opposed to "4kB physical with 512B logical block size"?

Following the discussion below I'm getting more and more confused.

It looks to me that the T10-thingy (as can only be used on SAS-drives, right?) changes the block size to something other than 512/4096 bytes which, in turn, is not recognized by the new loader. But is the loader also unable to handle Advanced Format drives that do NOT use that T10-thingy and thus report 512 or 4096 byte block sizes?

More specific to my use case, if I may: I am running WD Red SATA drives (4TB and 6TB, WDxxEFRX) which report "512 byte logical / 4096 physical" block size. Would it be a death sentence when I upgrade my r151014's to 022 before this loader bug has been resolved?

With such a seemingly high risk of a non-booting system after upgrade, one cannot get too much clarification beforehand, I'd say. Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Andries

On 2017-06-01 23:59, Paul B. Henson wrote:
On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 04:45:41PM -0400, Dan McDonald wrote:

WAIT A MINUTE.  I thought it wasn't 4k, but "4K" that actually had more bytes
on them (some sort of T.10 thing).
Hmm, in that case I guess my warning should be removed 8-/.

But the bug:

        https://www.illumos.org/issues/8303

Says:

"The current biosdisk interface is implemented assuming 512B sector
size, with 8+TB disks, there are already systems reporting 4096B sectors
and this does break the gptzfsboot and loader as both are using libi386
biosdisk interface."

Which seems to pretty clearly implicate bog-standard 4k sector disks...

I can confirm/deny this when I get home.
Unless yours are 4k physical 512b logical? Dunno, clarification much
appreciated as non-booting systems cause much sadness :(.

Thanks...