Unless there are news regarding OmniOS my stance is

- OmniOS 151022 is a freeze of current Illumos + LX. At the moment it is the most stable and feature rich free Illumos general use server distribution with the addition LX zones. As there is no repo and development outside OmniTi it is freezed. There are no signs from OmniTi to add any fixes. As packages are signed it does not work outside OmniTi. As OmniOS 151023 is identical without signed packages a community based repo based on it with possible fixes as 151022ce (community edition) is a suggestion (but sadly I am not an OS developer).

Without LX and a former OmniOS alike support option available you can move to OpenIndiana as a 1:1 replacement. OpenIndiana (current is 2017.04) is more or less pure Illumos + an optional GUI + a lot of services in the repo. OpenIndiana is the idea to continue OpenSolaris. The OpenIndiana textedition is nearly identical to OmniOS beside LX. There is also a GUI option with Mate. If you avoid the bunch of extra services, media tools and office tools its a very stable option, just like OmniOS is/was. As there is no long term stable with backporting fixes you can use a snapshot like the 2017.04 and update single packages on OpenIndiana when needed. A pkg update gives you the whole newest Illumos similar to OmniOS bloody. Like OmniOS OpenIndiana offers a new snapshot + iso every 6 months. If there are bugs fixed in Illumos you get them on OI.

- You can report bugs regarding the distribution to the OpenIndiana list. Bugs that are related to core Illumos functionalities (OS, ZFS, drivers, core services like iSCSI, NFS, SMB) should be reported to the Illumos list optionally as an issue at https://www.illumos.org/issues (was the same with OmniOS). They get fixed there like it was with OmniOS.

setup of the different OI distributions
http://www.napp-it.org/doc/downloads/setup_napp-it_os.pdf

Gea
@napp-it.org