Gea,

> the king is dead, long live the king
>
> https://gitter.im/omniosorg/Lobby
>
> www.omniosce.org
>
> the story continues ...

It is good news, but I would engage you to discuss about reducing the
fragmentation in the illumos community.
We have a few distros maintained by 1-3 guys without any or much momentum
and much duplication of efforts (Debian has 1000+ devs working together and
we are barely able to have more than 10).

We should join our efforts like, as I suggested, basing on common tools and
userland.
I do not see how wasting energy in duplicate efforts will help us keep/gain
momentum.
I mentioned earlier the possibility of a virtuous circle with OI as the
rolling testing and OmniOS the stable: to be honest I see very little sense
in maintaining two "testing" with such a small manpower. In the long term
this does not seem sustainable.

At least some degree of collaboration should be maintained on
documentation, pkg(5) and updates of Python/Perl/GCC with the same source
repository.

Of course this is not "right now", as you need to maintain continuity, but
we should plan the next 6 month cycle to decide on common requirements and
make it happen.
I saw Peter has built illumos-omnios on Tribblix, I think we should do the
same on OpenIndiana: the issue is not about doing it once (I did it last
year) but having a person commited to maintain it.

Convergence is necessary, at least to some extent, discussion is open. :)

Kind regards

Aurélien

> cheers
> tobi
>
> ----- On Jul 5, 2017, at 4:05 PM, Guenther Alka <a...@hfg-gmuend.de>
> wrote:
>
> *about OmniOS** and the silence for weeks*
>
> For my own future, I have already decided to switch back to OpenIndiana,
> the community based sister project of OmniOS. But like many users, I have
> yet OmniOS installations running perfectly. For them, it is essential to
> ask about the future for the next months or year and needed next steps (can
> wait some time or switch as soon as possible).
>

> *@**OmniTi*
> The end of OmniOS@OmniTi seems final.
>
> - How long will the website and the repo remain online?
>
> - Is there an option to fix serious bugs or problems in OmniOS @OmniTi
> for
> a limited time like 1 year or at least end of the year?
>
> - Are you willing to transfer the website/name either to a new OmniOS
> community project (I cannot see this as an option regarding the silence
> about) or to the OpenIndiana community to use it as a name for a possible
> stable like OpenIndiana Hipster=dev and OpenIndiana OmniOS as a stable
> subset? (if OI is willing to go that route but the request or offer must
> come from OmniTi or OmniOS people).
>
> OmniOS has a very strong reputation regarding production quality and
> stability, so such a step would help both if OpenIndiana and OmniOS would
> cooperate in a common project. Seems a pity if the name would die or
> remain as a name for a failed project.
>

> *@OmniOS developers* (current or former - you have done a very good job!)
>
> - Is there an option to fix serious bugs or problems in OmniOS for a
> limited time like 1 year or at least end of the year? This would help until
> a sucessor (less likely OmniOS 151024, maybe next OpenIndiana snap with a
> stable subset) is available. LX would then remain an OmniOS option in the
> meantime (I would not dare to ask about an upstream).
>

> *@all*
> comments?
>

> Gea
> @napp-it.org

> --
> Tobi Oetiker, OETIKER+PARTNER AG, Aarweg 15 CH-4600 Olten, Switzerland
> www.oetiker.ch t...@oetiker.ch +41 62 775 9902 <+41%2062%20775%2099%2002>

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings