Hello all,

I'm been trialing OpenDX and Java Explorer in the hope of providing a web-based visualisation tool for astronomers. Without too much trouble we can produce a Java applet to do some simple volume rendering. Next step is to write an input module for FITS (an astro format) and create a full applet. But first, I've a few questions:

- Is Java Explorer being actively developed and/or used? Initial searching indicates it's not being used a lot, nor is documentation up-to-date (? not a criticism, just an observation ...)

- Has anyone produced a FITS import module already - Starlink (linked at www.opendx.org) seemed to, but it was actually a pre-processor.

- It's not clear to me how to customise applet behaviour. For instance, I'd like to allow a user to type a URL, then fetch this file. I believe this wouldn't be contained in the network setup but would require customising java source. Is there any docs/pointers/samples on this kind of work?

Thanks in advance,

Brett Beeson