If you figure it out, can you give me some ideas how to fix it? I'm more than happy to try and get it all sorted out.

On a similar topic, I've got everything compiling with VS2003 (cl v13.10.3077). Everything seems to be working pretty well, except:

Our code links with BINMODE.OBJ to turn all reads and writes to binary. But now, the writes to stdout are in binary. From what I read on MSDN, this shouldn't happen (doesn't with vc 6 version), but it does with this compiler. Any idea how to fix it without having to add all the _fmode statements? I guess I could send a question to the VS team.

David

Hi David,

I think the problem is that dxexec.exe uses a different C runtime from
dll modules built with dxexec.lib and dxlite.lib. I used the C runtime
memory allocation hooks to see that I get crashes when AutoColor tries
to free memory allocated during MyConstruct (a Construct module
recompiled as a loadable dll).

The dependencies I see are the following:
dxexec.exe -> C:\windows\system32\msvcrt.dll
MyConstruct.dll -> links to
  dxlite.lib -> Requires imports from Dll versions of C runtime
    msvcrt.lib -> which loads msvcrt71.dll or msvcrt80.dll.

There are two ways to fix this. One is to link dxexec.exe to the same
version of the C runtime that people have to use when they make loadable
dlls. The other is to separate all DXLite.lib functionality into a dll
which is called by both dxexec.exe and any loadable modules.

dxexec.exe -> dxlite.dll -> any crt it pleases
MyConstruct.dll -> dxlite.dll -> any crt it pleases

I think that's the key, but I'll talk with my peeps on the hallway to
see if there is some way around it.

Drew