All DX arrays are indexed from 0. I suspect you are off by one in your connections so you are seeing really stretched triangles (the stripes). This is suggested by the fact that your first and only triangle (below) starts with 1. If it's a pain to change prior to DX, you can Mark("connections"), Compute(a-1), Unmark to fix them prior to rendering.

Connections normally requires the attribute "ref" "positions" though maybe DX fills in the blanks if you don't provide it explicitly.

Rubbersheet would assume a 2D positions and scalar data to be used as Z. You don't want that as you already have Z in the positions. So you can just put your scalar data into "data", then Color/Colormap, etc. (and be aware of the "constantarray" object type: more compact in this case below, though not useful for your upcoming 'interesting' scalar data).

Chris Pelkie
Vice President (607) 257-8335
Conceptual Reality Presentations, Inc.
30 West Meadow Drive