David,

Thanks - this works as advertised ... mostly!

1. Setting DXMDF, DXMODULES, and DXMACROS in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
works just fine.
2. Setting DXARGS to change the working directory does not work - I
still end up at the root dir.
3. Also, I'd like to set host to localhost. (Otherwise ssh complains,
and I have to open a connection manually from VPE.)
If I set DXHOST (or add "-host localhost" to DXARGS) in
environment.plist, dx fails to launch. I see the launcher
progress bar, but it just goes away, and there's no dx main menu.
I *can* set DX*host in ~/.dx-ad, however.

Thanks,
Joel

David Thompson wrote:
Joel,

You can set the following environment variables to override things:

DXMDF=path2mdf/file.mdf
DXMACROS=path2macrosdirectory
DXARGS="-directory /workingpath"

Your best bet would be to place these variables in the ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist as mentioned here <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPRuntimeConfig/Concepts/EnvironmentVars.html>

By the way, you will need to logoff and login for environment.plist to take effect.

A technote from Apple talks about creating this file <http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1067.html>.

I just tried it out to make sure it works and it does as I state. I will make sure to add this to the documentation for the next release. It really is a nice feature. If you have the Property List Editor from the developer tools, it can help to make sure the syntax is correct.

David

Hey DXers,

I am running the Vis Inc. distribution of OpenDX 4.3.2 on a Powerbook
G4 running OSX 10.3.9.

I've got a bunch of macros and runtime loadable modules that I'd
like to have available every time I start dx. Similarly, I'd like
the working directory to be set to a particular location.
The standard mechanism (setting env variables) works fine if I
invoke dx from the command line. But if I launch it via the application icon or open a .net file, my settings have no effect. The variables
are set in my .bashrc file.

I'm able to make the macros visible by placing them under
    ${HOME}/Library/Application Support/OpenDX/macros
as described in the distribution notes. But I cannot make
my loadables visible, and the working directory is always "/".

Thanks in advance,
Joel

Joel Richardson, Ph.D.   Phone: (207) 288-6435
The Jackson Laboratory   Fax:   (207) 288-6132
600 Main Street          URL:   www.informatics.jax.org
Bar Harbor, Maine 04609