I think you're implying that you have occurrences like:
TIme 0: event 0
TIme 1: no event
Time 2: no event
Time 3: event 1
Time 4: event 2
Time 5: no event
Time 6: event 3

yes?

So, if you were to do it all in DX, I would propose creating a series file. First, convert all your time steps to DX files. If you have learned how to import data via general format or some other way (ImportSpreadsheet), you can easily Export to .dx format. Then construct one "no event" data file with the same format as all the others.

Now create a series file that resembles the structure above. The nice thing is you can reference the "no event" file as many times as you like: you don't have to create lots of bogus no event files. The key point here is that series files can reference already existing dx files, thus the preprocessing step above to create this set of files. The series.dx file itself will be hardly any bigger than the list above (though of course, that is not the precise format: see Appendix B in Users Guide or examples).

Then use Sequencer to step through the series file you Import.

This particular problem hasn't been discussed before (to my knowledge), but many of the details of sequencing through a series have been discussed on this mail list. As for all newcomers, I encourage you to use the search feature to hunt them down now that you have an idea of what to be looking for.

Another way to tackle it is to use an external editing program like Final Cut or Premiere or Quicktime Pro to assemble the individual frames that you already know how to make; here, you would have to make copies of the 'no event' image as many times as you needed, and number all images in consecutive order to allow these programs to load them in proper order.

Cheers,
Chris