Mark,

OpenDX array indexing always starts at 0.  You can
easily subtract 1 from all the index numbers in the
connections component. To do that, you'll have to
import that array as something other than the connections
component (maybe as a separate object - put the field
and the array in a group and import that). Then inside
of dx, run the array through Compute("a-1") and then
use Replace to put it back into the field as the connections
component. You'll probably also have to set the "ref"
and "element type" attributes after the Compute, using
the Options module.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Joel

Mark Gesing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some data which is on a grid of cube shaped volume elements.
> The grid is an 8x8 grid (64 elements), made-up of two layers of nodes
> (9x9x2=162).
>
> My problem is that DX by default numbers the nodes starting at 0-161,
> whereas the application generating the data (LS-Dyna) numbers the nodes
> 1-162.
>
> Therefore when I try to import the data (following the example on page
> 254 of the user's guide) I get the error:
>
> Begin Execution
> ERROR: Import:  Invalid data: 573rd item in `connections' component
> (162) is not between 0 and 161  / file 'd3plot.dx' line 14
>
> My .dx file "d3plot.dx" is as follows:
>
>  object 1 class array type float rank 1 shape 3 items         162 lsb binary
>  data file d3plot,         260
>  attribute "dep" string "positions"
>  object 2 class array type int rank 1 shape 9 items          64 lsb binary
>  data file d3plot,        2204
>  attribute "element type" string "cubes"
>  attribute "ref" string "positions"
>  object 3 class array type float rank 0 items         162 lsb binary
>  data file d3plot,        4560
>  attribute "dep" string "positions"
>  object "irreg positions irreg connections binary file" class field
>  component "positions" value 1
>  component "connections" value 2
>  component "data" value 3
>  end
>
> (forgive the wierd spacing,  I have written a code to auto-generate the
> .dx file for d3plots with different sized meshes, and I haven't bothered
> to tweak the format statements yet)
>
> Can I get DX to number it's nodes from 1-162 instead of 0-161? If not,
> is there a way to get DX to subtract 1 from each of the numbers in the
> connectivity list?
>
> I am also open to other solutions.
>
> If anyone would like to try things out on my binary file ("d3plot") ask
> me and I'll e-mail it to you, I would attach it to this e-mail, however,
> it is 3.6 megabytes and I decided it would be poor form to send a large
> attachment to a list.
>
> Thank you very much
>
> --
> Mark Gesing,
> MASc. Candidate,
> Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering,
> University of Waterloo
> (519) 888-4567 x32309

Joel Richardson, Ph.D.
Sr. Research Scientist
Mouse Genome Informatics
The Jackson Laboratory   Phone: (207) 288-6435
600 Main Street          Fax:   (207) 288-6132
Bar Harbor, Maine 04609  URL:   www.informatics.jax.org