On 2011.10.26 16:29, Peter Stuge wrote:
Øyvind Harboe wrote:
my main problem has been that that I've found that those that use Tortoise
have no patience for the complexities and necessity of interactive rebase,
rather than Tortoise lack of support for this feature.

This might fit Pete. In another project I've learned that he prefers
not to use many of the features offered by git, among others indeed
interactive rebase

Well, what do you know. Apparently, and I must say much to my surprise as I have recently learned [1], it appears that I simply "decided to hate git", which of course should make it "impossible to discuss" such matters.

I can't help but wonder though how my usage of git, in my own branch, matters so much to Peter, when I don't remember that any of the patches I submitted to libusb-devel over the past 2 years to have been faulted on a git technicality, or from me apparently not using git the "established way". This is even more true as I have a very verifiable track record of being able to produce patches very quickly, when requested, even for a major headaches like an implementation that has evolved on its own, at a very rapid pace, for about a year and that must now be integrated. If anything, it should mean that whatever method I use to produce them wasn't that detrimental after all...

If you really want to disprove my approach, Peter, then please find some verifiable evidence that any part of what I have been doing so far for libusb has been detrimental to mainline (rather than try to impose your own *personal* views of what a "good" private branch should look like).

Also, since I am always eager to experiment, and as, if anything, it might turn out to be the only useful thing generated from this idiotic accusation, please do provide a list of the "many features offered by git" which myself and others should know about.

For the record, I did follow your last point about git grep and git blame on the tcl/slash issue. Right after you posted I actually tried to determine whether using git blame in this case might not have been an overkill. Turns out there were only 3 small commits in one year on that tcl file, which gitweb promptly returned. If anything then, I guess I'm still waiting for a better example of git blame and other commands which I don't use (regularly|at all) saving the day, just like I am waiting for a good example of how, on small projects such as libusb and OpenOCD, choosing to never revert anything, and splitting commits ad nauseam actually contributes to collectively reduce everybody's time in the long run, maintainers AND contributors included.

As with any tool, after careful consideration (especially with regards to the fact that libusb is a small project, that sees very few commits, that are far in between) and experimentation, I have drawn my own conclusion, as I am entitled to, as to what was I consider the most effective way. As long as the patches I submitted met the expected quality level, and I believe they do, I fail to see why I should have to defend myself with regards to how I use git. But anyway, if you want the short version, after many months of submitting patches, I found out that I was a lot more effective almost never using rebase --of course this only pertains to libusb: can't really comment on what I'd do for OpenOCD-- or, lately not even merge, but simply slapping patch serials or files from one branch into another and hack away (which, having a GUI actually makes very enticing, and which maybe you guys should also consider as the possible reason why the new generation may not use git the exact same way as grandpa does). This is how the latest Windows integration patches were produced and I'm still waiting to hear from you about how poor quality they truly were...

Should I infer then, that, when I voluntarily decided to contribute to libusb, not only did I unknowingly sign a contract that strips me from the right to use to use a tool exactly the way I see fit, and that I was instead supposed to adhere to the "one true way" to use git? I think I must have missed Git Indoctrination 101.

What I did not miss however were some of the deplorable action of mindless git worshippers, such as Peter, that pretty much sent us back 6 months on libusb-devel, with regards to the obnoxious CRLF issue, with the oh-so-maintainer-commendable actions of:

1. Taking about 3 months to start looking into a patch that was clearly identified as possibly contentious with regards to git (but then again, having to wait months before any serious review started was the fate of most Windows patches).

2. Getting bitten from the git documentation when trying to prove a critical point (about how others must have simply misread the documentation) and ending up interpreting the documentation wrong.

3. When seeing their arguments disproved, resorting to a very unprofessional "I just don't want CRLF in the git repo", to dismiss all alternative views.

4. Dismissing the idea that git could harbour a major bug (which really was the root of the issue), by blindingly asserting that the problem was purely misuse of git by its users.

5. Finally, when shown that such a major flaw actually existed, and asked for opinion/advice, simply keeping dead silent (which is unfortunately, and ironically, see below, a very common mode of action from Peter)

Do you also have a comment on why, as demonstrated by Michael, it is apparently possible to trick git into producing different data for the same commit ID, depending on the path one takes in git to reach that commit?

For anybody who wants an appraisal of Peter's actions when it comes to exerting critical judgement with regards to git, and the reason why some of us are taking his advice with a grain of salt, instead judging for ourselves, it's all there in the libusb-devel mailing list ([2], in the 99 posts thread, which unfortunately marc.info seems to have a trouble with today). This could be used as a cautionary tale against blindingly trusting git as well as git-worshippers.

By the way, Peter, feel free to dropping by libusb-devel anytime to answer some very basic maintainer questions such as, now that the RCs have been out for more than a month, your ETA on the actual 1.0.9 release. Or should we assume that, as you have repeatedly demonstrated by failing to replying to any of the repeated requests from libusb users, it is impossible to discuss with you once you have decided you hate something as simple such as providing some form of ETA.

TL;DR: Git is just a tool, feel free to use it as you see fit, GUI or not. But please remember that, like all tools, it has its advantages and limitations. Also don't try impose your views on others with regards to git usage, unless you really have something to say about the quality of the patches they submit to mainline.

Regards,

/Pete

[1] https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/openocd-development/2011-October/021211.html
[2] http://marc.info/?l=libusb-devel&r=3&b=201012&w=2