Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009, Stefan Palm wrote:
>
>> 1) After playing around a little with OpenPKG I'm wondering about this
>> projects status. The last (official) release is dated from 2007-12-27,
>> quite a lot of pages at "openpkg.org" are outdated and the mailings list
>> seem to be rather "quiet". All this gave me the impression that this
>> project is about to fade away. Is that correct?
>
> No, OpenPKG certainly is not fading away. We were just too busy with
> other earn-a-living jobs and OpenPKG 4.0 was still not ready until
> recently. Hence we kept the websites around until we have something
> new. Now that OpenPKG 4.0 is stable and already working on lots of
> production servers, it will be officially released soon -- together with
> a new website. That the last official bootstrap is from 2007-12-27 was
> intentionally, as this was the last time we updated the old RPM 4 based
> bootstrap. Since this time we worked on the RPM 5 based one for OpenPKG
> 4.0.

I thought the whole point of closing off access to the code and charging
for support was to fund the project.  If the userbase has shrunk and the
paying subset is too small to generate adequate income, why not open the
project back up until it reaches critical mass?

OpenPKG                                             http://openpkg.org