> The advantage is that you this way can create your own independent
> distribution for your particular software stack.

That's powerful, indeed, perhaps even more compelling when a considerable
subset of packages are not hosted by OpenPKG such as closed-source,
proprietary.

> No, we also patch many upstream sources. Not just for packaging issues,
> but also to fix bugs, too add additional features, etc. But the
> packaging issues are 95% of the patch reasons, of course.

If housekeeping is part of OpenPKG's routine, here might be one for you:
Unless Google changes their mind and reinstates their SOAP API
(http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2009/08/well-earned-retirement-for-soap-sear
ch.html), Net::Google is a candidate for removal from perl-www.

Cheers,
-ar