Great post,

Are the 4 options in a faq?
Is Friend Connect an example of option 3?

and I wasv also feeling somewhat deflated. We have some small social
groups, mostly mailing lists with some stuff on web pages and getting
them more social sounds like a good idea. I tried Friend Connect and
it went well to build a few hello world kinds of examples.

I was about to install shindig (php version for that first test) but
now think I need to also look more at OpenID and OAuth.

Lots to look into.

Gary