On Wednesday 14 March 2012 17:18:19 Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 02:30:29PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> > > Can you be more specific about "seems to not be compatible".
> >
> > if the versions were compatible, there should be no warning when running
> > apps
> >
> > with openssl-1.0.1 that were built against openssl-1.0.0*.  but there is:
> >     OpenSSL version mismatch. Built against 1000005f, you have 1000100f
>
> As far as I know, we disabled most such checks in Debian because
> they're not really useful.  I can change the ABI without changing
> the version, or have the same ABI with a different version.  If
> it's not compatible the soname should have changed.  The
> appliation shouldn't go and second guess that it's really
> compatible or not.
>
> And if the soname stays the same but the ABI is not compatible, we
> also have ways to deal with that.

i'm not looking for downstream workarounds here but rather the right answer.
is openssl-1.0.1 expected to be ABI compatible with openssl-1.0.0 ?  there was
nothing in the notes that i saw, and this is a significant change in behavior
from how openssl has loooooong operated.  and it wouldn't be the first time
that a new openssl release had bugs in it including forgetting to update the
version number (which i've reported before) or can't even compile for some
targets due to files missing from the release tarball.

if, indeed, openssl has started down the enlightened ABI compatible path, then
i can work on fixing relevant packages that do runtime version sanity checks
such as openssh.  but i haven't heard an answer in either direction as to the
openssl behavior: "it's a bug" or "it's correct behavior".
-mike