Defence in depth seems prudent: independent sources with agglomeration and
whitening.

As Kurt noted, [on modern OSes,] it is really unclear what sources are
available to us that are not already being used by the kernel.

I would turn to hardware. Since OpenSSL already has assembly-level optimization
for various CPU types, accessing instructions like RDSEED and RDRAND (when
available) doesn’t sound too hard. Mix their output into the seed. It can only
improve the result.

So, [on these same modern OSes,] what benefit do we really get from using
multiple "independent" sources?  They are unlikely to actually be independent
if the kernel is consuming them as well and we consume the kernel.

Depends on what you mean by “independent”. A completely different mechanism –
probably not. A mechanism whose output bits/bytes are not (tractably)
correlated? Probably yes.

We shouldn't trust the user to provide entropy.

Definitely.

No.  We shouldn’t trust the user to provide all entropy – but should welcome
user’s contribution to the entropy pool.