From:   Cory Benfield <c...@lukasa.co.uk>
To:     openssl-dev@openssl.org
Date:   28/06/2017 17:15
Subject:        Re: [openssl-dev] Work on a new RNG for OpenSSL
Sent by:        "openssl-dev" <openssl-dev-boun...@openssl.org>

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2886432/tens-of-thousands-of-home-routers-at-risk-with-duplicate-ssh-keys.html

> Using the OS RNG won't fix the lack of boot time randomness unless there
is a HRNG present.

> For VMs, John's suggestion that /dev/hwrng should be installed is
reasonable.

> For embedded devices, a HRNG is often not possible.  Here getrandom()
(or /dev/random since old kernels are common) should be used.  Often
/dev/urandom is used instead and the linked article is the result.  There
are possible mitigations that some manufacturers include (usually with
downsides).

When you say “the linked article”, do you mean the PCWorld one? Because
that article doesn’t provide any suggestion that /dev/urandom has anything
to do with it. It is at least as likely that the SSH key is hard-coded
into the machine image. The flaw here is not “using /dev/urandom”, it’s
“exposing your router’s SSH access on the external side of the router”,
plus the standard level of poor configuration done by shovelware router
manufacturers.

Cory