> What do you want to do with the NID? Does it need to have a valid short
> name
> and/or long name associated with it (so OBJ_sn2nid etc work) but no valid
> OID
> or do you just need a NID value?
>
> You're right that currently OBJ_create() needs a valid OID passed to it:
> you
> can't pass a NULL to create an "OIDless NID" as you can by editing
> objects.txt.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm trying to achieve, an "OIDless OBJ", with
NID, shortname and long name associated, but I would need to do that
without editing objects.txt (requiring patching and recompilation for
anyone willing to use my engine).

I tried using OBJ_create() with NULL or an empty string for the OID, but
currently it checks that the given OID is actually a valid one. Is there
any workaround to avoid this other than issuing my own OID?

Thanks,

Nicola Tuveri