Thanks Erwann, but that's not an answer to my question.

To get the CA to sign (using RSA or anything) a certificate that contains
an X25519 public key, that certificate must first submit to the CA
something called a "Certificate request". This takes the form of the
supplicant certificate, which is self-signed. However you cannot self-sign
with an X25519 key (using the openssl command line tool), as it objects
that X25519 does not support signature.

So the issue arises around the "certificate request" process. There is I
agree no problem in creating the certificate itself.

Mike