A new blog post gives more details:
        https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2016/10/12/f2f-rt-github/

Effective immediately, RT is being retired, please create GitHub issues
instead.  The website has been update; the README and CONTRIBUTING files
in each release branch will be done soon.  There'll be another post on
closing old tickets soon.

GitHub pull requests are also now the only real way to request changes.
In addition, the dev team will use GitHub for all its own PR's. Our
private repo will only be done for security fixes that cannot start out
immediately "in public."

We're excited by these changes, and hope that they provide increased
transparency, and increased engagement with our community.  We hope
you're excited too!

-Rich Salz,
Dev Team Member