On 30/11/2016 17:38, Ludwig, Mark wrote:
From: Salz, Rich, Wednesday, November 30, 2016 9:38 AM

We're moving up to OpenSSL 1.0.2j from OpenSSL 0.9.8<something>, and
noticed that the SSL functions based on SSL_ctrl() changed from returning type
int to returning type long.
The "proper" answer is to not use long, but rather sized types, which we are
slowly moving toward.
Funny you should mention this, because this topic arose
internally after someone decided to change the return type
of SSL_ctrl() to intprt_t.  I have no idea why, since as far
as I can tell, all of the return values would fit in a
32-bit integer; thus my question about why it was changed to
long, which is either 32 bits or 64 bits, depending on
platform.  I suspect it was the use of long that tricked someone
into thinking it might be holding a pointer, and thus led to the
change to intptr_t, so it would fit on Windows.  (Blind/stupid
global replacement.)

(Does OpenSSL support any platform in which type int is 16 bits?)

Some confusion here. SSL_ctrl() was defined as returning long in 0.9.8a, and from what (little) I can see it looks like it was that way back in 0.6.4.

Regards,
                        jjf

--
J. J. Farrell