Quick reaction, I am impressed.

The part that triggered my wrong thoughts was the first sentence:
"RPATH's are supported by default on the BSD platforms, but not others."

It seemed platforms other than BSD will not get RPATH unless I take action.
With that in mind I somehow understood I need to patch the config or configure
scripts to get along.

Maybe it should read something like "on BSD the run paths are automatically
set. For other platforms, add these parameters to your configure line...

Hiran