On 21/06/17 00:38, Neetish Pathak wrote:
> I wanted to understand the replay attack vulnerability in case of enable
> early data of TLS 1.3 while false start is secure in that respect as I
> have read from https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/1541
> So, with false start, the application data is sent from client after the
> first leg of the handshake i.e. one round trip is complete, so the data
> goes encrypted even though the handshake is not completed. In enable
> early data mode in TLS 1.3 for 0-RTT for session resumption, the
> application data is sent from the client along with the client hello
> message. Does the application data in early data mode go as clear text ?

No, it is encrypted using a traffic key derived from the PSK.

> I assume this is also encrypted using the PSK because 0-RTT is only
> applicable when PSK is available on the client side. How is it
> vulnerable to replay attack. Please help me understand.

The same PSK can be used multiple times. Because the traffic key for the
early data is derived from the PSK, if you later re-use the PSK and send
early data again then the same traffic key will be derived. This can be
exploited by an attacker who can record the early data from an earlier
session and replay it later. The server will think that the replayed
data is a new connection and process the early data accordingly.

Early data (aka 0-RTT data) can be dangerous if not used properly. For
this reason the current TLSv1.3 draft makes this note:

   Protocols MUST NOT use 0-RTT data without a profile that defines its
   use.  That profile needs to identify which messages or interactions
   are safe to use with 0-RTT.  In addition, to avoid accidental misuse,
   implementations SHOULD NOT enable 0-RTT unless specifically
   requested.  Implementations SHOULD provide special functions for
   0-RTT data to ensure that an application is always aware that it is
   sending or receiving data that might be replayed.

> Is there any API available in OpenSSL for false start ?

No, OpenSSL does not support false start. As an aside please note that
false start only applies to <= TLSv1.2.

Matt