I heard this on the radio today. The whole thing is worth hearing:
"From Injury To Recovery, A Ballerina Fought To Retire On Her Own Terms"
(The URL for the interview has links to the podcast and a beautiful
video snippet  of Wendy Whelan rehearsing)
http://www.npr.org/2017/07/10/536434340/from-injury-to-recovery-a-ballerina-fought-to-retire-on-her-own-terms

Here's the origami excerpt from the transcript of the interview:
http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=536434340

....WHELAN: Yeah. That ballet you're talking of is called
"Polyphonia." And it was made on Jock Soto and myself and three other
couples from the New York City Ballet around the year 2001 by a young
choreographer at the time named Christopher Wheeldon. He chose Jock
and I to sort of be the central figures of this ballet I guess. We
have two duets - two very potent duets in this piece, and he chose us
to sort of collaborate on it with him.

And we made that duet in one day. It was like magic happened. We just
- the three of us got together. We got this music. We had ideas.
Chris' ideas lead to sort of a conversation back to him, and he
decided yes or no. And it just unfolded like origami. And basically
the duet is like origami. It's folds and openings and taking one
movement and flipping it into another shape, into another shape, into
a kaleidoscopic unfolding of movements. And that's the very last
moment of the piece. And I always felt like I was a switchblade in
that moment.

GROSS: Could you describe, to the extent that you could describe this
kind of thing, what you're doing physically at that moment?

WHELAN: Well, Jock - my partner Jock Soto - he's one of the greatest
partners in ballet of all time. And he was like a magician. And
luckily for me, I got to partner with him for about 15 years. And he's
holding me in a certain way. And he lifts me up like a jackknife from
under my hips, under my bottom, sort of taking my hips high up into
the air. And my legs are in a jackknife position. And he drops me back
down, and he kneels at the same time. And one leg stays attached to
his leg, and the other leg does a whole - a 360 around that leg, that
thigh that I'm laying on. And I'm just - I'm holding onto my my foot.
And I'm just sort of doing a back dive, holding onto my front foot,
backbending with his support, rotating, cartwheeling backwards,
catching myself on the floor with my hands, letting my legs follow me
and sliding under his leg and to a kneel. And he kneels behind me, and
we both look at the audience. And the lights fade, and it's just
really, like, cool (laughter).

GROSS: And how does it physically feel? Does it feel like, wow, this
is hard; I'm really exerting myself?

WHELAN: No.

GROSS: Or does it feel...

WHELAN: No.

GROSS: ...As fluid as it looks?

WHELAN: It feels heavenly. It feels like magic. It feels like it -
like there's no other place I'd rather be than making that movement
right there then, yeah.....

Karen Reeds
karenmre...@gmail.com

Karen Reeds, co-ringleader,
Princeton Public Library Origami Group
Affiliate of Origami USA, http://origamiusa.org/
 Princeton Public Library info:  609.924.9529
https://princetonlibrary.org/
Next meeting: Wednesday, July 12, 6:30-8pm, all welcome