Labor Dept. Signs 'Partnerships' with Foreign Gov’s to Protect Illegal Workers
in U.S.

Monday, August 29, 2011
By  <http://cnsnews.com/source/74028> Edwin Mora

 <http://cnsnews.com/image/hilda-solis-0> Hilda Solis

U.S. Labor Secretary Hilda Solis (AP File Photo)

(CNSNews.com) - U.S. Labor Secretary Hilda Solis today signed "partnership"
agreements with ambassadors from a group of Latin American nations aiming to
protect what she described as the labor rights of both legal and illegal
migrants working in the United States.

During the signing ceremony hosted at Labor Department headquarters in
Washington D.C., Solis said the agreements are aimed at educating migrant
workers, regardless of how they got here, about their rights under U.S. law and
to help prevent them from being abused in the workplace, either through wages,
loss of job, or deportation.

When asked by CNSNews.com, she made clear the agreements aim at protecting both
documented and undocmented workers inside the United States.

In her address at the signing ceremony, Solis asserted that all migrant workers
have a “right to a legal wage”--even though the Labor Department itself
<http://www.dol.gov/elaws/elg/aw.htm> states that under U.S. law, the
Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), “employers may hire only persons who may
legally work in the United States (i.e., citizens and nationals of the U.S.)
and aliens authorized to work in the U.S.”

The INA “protects U.S. citizens and aliens authorized to accept employment in
the U.S. from discrimination in hiring or discharge on the basis of national
origin and citizenship status," states the Labor Department Web site.

Nevertheless, during the signing ceremony today, Solis said, “No matter how you
got here or how long you plan to stay, you have certain rights. You have the
right to be safe and in a healthy workplace and the right to a legal wage. We
gather here today to strengthen our shared commitment to protect the labor
rights of migrant workers in the United States. Unfortunately, due to language
barriers and immigration status, migrant workers can be those that are most
vulnerably abused.”

“We’re committed to ending that abuse and in a few moments we’ll sign a new
partnerships between the Department of Labor and the embassies of Costa Rica,
the Dominican Republic, and El Salvador,” she said. “These are pledges between
our governments to work together to educate migrant workers about their labor
rights and prevent abuses in the workplace.”

“During the past year, we’ve signed similar agreements with the embassies--and
I’m very proud of this--the embassies of Mexico, Nicaragua, and Guatemala,”
said Solis,  “and going forward we’ll be pursuing accords with governments from
South East Asia and others in the Caribbean wanting to educate and protect
those most vulnerable workers that live and reside in this country.”

“We understand that many migrant workers in America are afraid to report
mistreatment because it can lead to more abuse, the loss of job, a job, or
deportation,” she said. “With these partnerships we seek to remove those fears.”

CNSNews.com spoke to Solis on video after the ceremony about U.S. labor laws,
asking, “Both documented and undocumented workers will be protected under U.S.
labor laws?”

 <http://cnsnews.com/image/immigration-georgia> Immigration Georgia

In this photo taken May 10, 2011, fieldworkers pick onion bulbs on a Vidalia
onion farm in Lyons, Ga. (AP Photo/David Goldman)

“It has always been the case under previous Republican as well as Democratic
administrations. All we’re doing is enforcing the law and we’re allowing for
other individual groups and partnerships with other consulate offices to work
with us in expanding our reach in information,” Solis said. “What we’re trying
to avoid is that vulnerable communities be abused and that there be an increase
in more underground activity, economic activity that goes untapped, those
monies that are being paid to workers.”

“In some cases taxes aren’t being appropriately paid, those taxes should go
into our [U.S.] Treasury, and if everyone is brought out of the shadow in that
manner, then we’ll have more assistance to protect people, we’ll have better
competitive businesses,” she said. “It’s not fair for businesses who come into
this country or are working in this country now and abuse workers. So we’re
trying to rectify that and with that we hope that there will be more awareness
and there’ll be better, how can I say, policies and documentations that can
counter all that negativity that we’re seeing occurring when we’re seeing a
downturn in our economy. That’s when most vulnerable are abused when there’s a
downturn in the economy.”

Altogether, the envoys to the United States that have signed the agreements
include those from the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, and El Salvador. Also,
envoys from  Mexico, Nicaragua, and Guatemala had signed the agreement prior to
today’s ceremony.

On Monday, Solis said, “Immigrant workers are an important part of our American
labor force fabric,” adding that they work in jobs that are “low paying and
difficult to do, but they also pay taxes, they pay rent, they buy groceries,
and some even open businesses and we’re grateful for their contribution to our
economy.”

According to the <http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/ilab/ILAB20111278.htm%20>
Labor Department, the
<http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/ilab/ILAB20111278.htm%20> declarations
signed today state that the department’s
<http://www.dol.gov/ilab/20110829/FS-WHD.pdf%22%3e> Wage and Hour Division
<http://www.dol.gov/ilab/20110829/FS-WHD.pdf>  will “protect the rights of
migrant workers in low-wage industries such as hospitality and agriculture,
while  <http://www.osha.gov/Publications/3439at-a-glance.pdf%20> OSHA [the
department’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration] will continue
efforts to improve workplace safety and health conditions as well as provide
outreach and assistance to Spanish-speaking workers and employers.”

 <http://cnsnews.com/image/aptopix-obama-1> APTOPIX Obama

President Barack Obama. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

Under the declarations, the embassies and consulates that signed the agreements
will work with the regional enforcement offices of OSHA and the Wage Hour
Division to disseminate information about U.S. health, safety, and wage laws.

Two labor union leaders were invited to speak at today’s ceremony, Eliseo
Medina from the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) and the United
Food and Commercial Workers International Union’s Joseph Hansen.

Today’s ceremony marked the first day of Labor Rights Week, which was started
by the Mexican consulate in 2009. During Labor Rights Week, the Labor
Department works in conjunction with 50 Mexican consulates across the nation to
bring U.S. labor law education to migrant workers and their employers.

This year’s Labor Rights Week is focused on migrant women in the workplace.

“On behalf of President Barrack Obama, we stand together to denounce hatred,
violence, and prejudice and recommit ourselves to protecting migrant women in
the American workplace,” said Solis at today’s event.

Speaking Spanish to the ambassadors who attended the event, Solis vowed to
continue fighting for immigration reform in this country.

The Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency, a component of the
Department of Homeland Security, in a
<http://cnsnews.com/news/article/obama-administration-stresses-discretion> June
17 memo, directed its officials to use “prosecutorial discretion” in deciding
which illegal aliens to remove from this country, including those involved in
union organizing or who have legitimate complaints about employment
discrimination or housing conditions.

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.