A Delectable Lie

Posted By David Solway On September 7, 2011

I begin with a disclosure. Salim Mansur is a friend of mine, so if I were in
any way skeptical of his deposition I would not have consented to write this
review. Friendship is too precious a value to risk giving needless offense,
either by being too brutally honest or by producing a piece of dishonest
puffery. And since even the best of us have written problematic books
(including yours truly), it is best in such cases to say nothing adverse in
print and leave it to others to dissect the writer's efforts.

That I write a review of a friend's book, then, means that I suffer no
crisis of conscience in praising it for its many virtues: clarity,
painstaking research, intellectual scrupulousness, a surfeit of historical
and juridical information, and a powerful argument backed by strict evidence
and leading to a set of forceful conclusions.

Mansur presents his thesis with lucid precision in his Introduction: "The
idea of an 'official' multiculturalism program to be sponsored by the state,
supported by tax-payers, and monitored and enforced by thought-police (human
rights commissions) was at best dubious, and at worst by its very nature
poised against Western liberalism. Moreover.it was based on the false
idea-another official lie, really-that all cultures are equal."

The result of this pernicious fantasy was a reversal of cultural norms and
the scuttling of reasonable expectations. If all cultures are equal, the
heritage culture has no priority and no legitimate claim upon foreign
minorities to adapt to the social usages and conventions already in place.
"As immigration changes the demographic profile of a liberal democracy,"
Mansur writes, "multiculturalism empowers immigrants from non-Western
societies to demand that their host country adapt to the cultural
requirements of immigrants instead of the other way round." And this is
plainly what has happened. "[I]f the ride continues unchecked," he
concludes, "the end then is predictable."

Delectable Lie is a detailed exfoliation of this root argument, examining
how multiculturalism-and, of course, its corollary, political correctness,
which discriminates against the expression of dissent-have inexorably
sedimented themselves in the political process, "twisting our history" as
they did so, "tearing apart" national identities and invidiously replacing
them with "even older identities of a pre-modern past," thus effectively
eroding the "idea of nation as a people.identified on the basis of kinship
relations or language."

One has only to look at the importation of Sharia law into Europe and the
proliferation of no-go zones, in effect Islamic mini-emirates, in European
cities to see how cultural civility and national coherence can be subverted.
In the U.S. Islamic advocacy proceeds apace, terror attacks are a constant
menace, mosques pepper the landscape, the President appoints
<http://www.israpundit.com/archives/39090>  Muslim Brotherhood sympathizers
to influential posts, and the Shariate relentlessly advances. In
Canada-Mansur's chief concern-Islamic organizations flex their muscles,
terror plots are hatched, mosques and religious schools indoctrinate the
young, and our human rights commissions see to it that criticism of Islam is
muted, punished and all but ruled out.

One recalls Ottoman thinker Said Nursi who prophesied nearly a century ago,
in his famous Damascus Sermon
<http://www.amazon.com/Damascus-Sermon-Bediuzzaman-Said-Nursi/dp/9754320063/
ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314989327&sr=1-2> , that "Europe and America
are pregnant with Islam. One day they will give birth to an Islamic state."
The way things are going, he may have been right. And it is via what Mansur
calls the "delectable lie"-the idea of cultural parity, the raising of the
concept of "diversity" (which really means "conformity of opinion") to the
status of a social paradigm, the practice of accommodation to the
sensitivities of immiscible groups in the fatuous conviction that the favor
will be reciprocated, the untenable belief that the desire for freedom,
prosperity and electoral democracy reigns in every human heart, in short,
the diktats of multiculturalism-that Nursi's vision would be realized.

Mansur writes with authority both as a professor of political science
imbrued in his discipline and as a Muslim who understands how the more
extreme elements in his community pose a serious threat to the durability of
the society in which they have refused to integrate. These Islamic
elements-along with certain disruptive and sectarian portions of the South
Asian shame-honor demographic-braid the rope with which we will hang
ourselves. Mansur clearly reveals how multiculturalism has failed to
establish a viable and harmonious pluralism and has instead created an
anarchic and retrograde situation in which old-world identities take
precedence over modern, secular and liberal values. He shows how the Western
political elites have collaborated in their own eventual dissolution by
refusing to control or monitor the flow of tribally oriented immigrants who
bring the hatreds, conflicts, social patterns, ancestral traditions and
cultural practices of Third World communities into their new home, sowing
inevitable discord as a consequence.

At the same time, the patrician class does everything it can to avoid
confrontation and, in an access of misplaced solicitude, even strives to
facilitate what is nothing less than a "hostile takeover" by stifling
opposition to such destructive policies and pandering to the grievance
networks set up by these foreign implants. In so doing, our "progressive"
beau monde empowers radical immigrant organizations in their quest to impose
upon their hosts the standards, customs, rituals and codes of the "old
country." What we are observing is a kind of cultural pleaching, the
creation of new structures by interlacing the existing features of the
social and political landscape with alternate modes and configurations. The
terrain we have long taken for granted slowly becomes unrecognizable.

The casualties of the multicultural delirium are readily discernible to
anyone who cares to pay attention. Freedom of speech, the bedrock principle
of Western liberalism, has been legislatively curtailed. Freedom of assembly
is under threat as well-what we might designate as the Malmo syndrome
<http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/275686/losing-malmo-andrew-c-mccarth
y> . The notion of citizenship, as Mansur warns, that "brings people
together in liberal democracy and binds them in a relationship of mutual
obligation" has also been crucially weakened. "The problem arises," he
continues, "when multiculturalism demands that liberal democracy recognize
in law cultural practices that are not merely different, but contrary.to its
core values of citizenship rights and responsibilities."

In order to oppose the growing menace of "tribal and collectivist values"
which undermine the social and national consensus, liberal democracy must be
defended, Mansur argues, through education in the historical achievements of
the Enlightenment and the concept of universal values. The doctrinal lie
that "all cultures are worthy of equal respect and equally embracing of
individual freedom" must be strenuously countered by affirming a unifying
national culture "embedded in the values of the West and shaped by the
Enlightenment."

It must be acknowledged, however, that such education as Mansur recommends
does not begin in the schools and universities, or in religious institutions
and the media, which have, by and large, been corrupted by "the  worm inside
the doctrine of multiculturalism." As he notes in a recent Sun Media column
<http://www.torontosun.com/2011/09/02/west-given-rosy-view-of-islamism> ,
our "universities, churches and mainstream media.have assumed the role of
spinmeisters for Islamists and Islamism." Genuine education begins with
voices like Mansur's and those of his conservative peers and colleagues-many
of whom are mentioned in his book-who speak out resonantly and bravely
against the plague of self-doubt, debased creeds and degrading ideologies,
unmoored theories and the temptation to cultural and political appeasement
that afflicts the West.

These heralds of sound judgment understand that, in effect, multiculturalism
is like a horticultural experiment gone wrong, attempting to graft an
unsuitable cutting onto a pre-existing stock and producing only a vascular
deformity in the process. Subsequent pruning rarely works though it may at
least contain the aberration. What is ultimately required is a strong
rootstock, the right shoot, and the appropriate conditions to ensure that
the insertion "takes"-failing which, we have a disaster rather than a
garden.

Mansur's book tells a bitter truth about a delectable lie. It needs to be
read.

  _____

Article printed from FrontPage Magazine: http://frontpagemag.com

URL to article: http://frontpagemag.com/2011/09/07/a-delectable-lie/

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.