But of course it's Israel, where IIRC ~40% of the Knesset is Arab, that's
the real apartheid state.  Everybody knows that.

--S.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/plo-official-palestinians-isra
elis-must-be-totally-separated-1.384493

PLO official: Palestinians, Israelis must be totally separated

Commenting on the subject of minority rights in the potential Palestinian
state, PLO envoy to the U.S. says past experience shows the two people
should be 'totally separated.'

By  <http://www.haaretz.com/misc/writers/haaretz-1.367584> Haaretz

The future independent Palestinian state will not include a Jewish minority,
a top Palestinian official told USA Today on Wednesday, adding that it was
in the best interest of both peoples to "be separated."

Maen Areikat, PLO Ambassador to the United States, made the comment just as
the Palestinian Authority, led by President Mahmoud Abbas, was preparing to
offer up Palestinian statehood to a vote in the United Nations General
Assembly later this month.

Answering a question about the legal status of a Jewish minority in the
future state, Areikat apprently rejected the issue, saying: "I believe, I
still believe that as a first step we need to be totally separated," adding
"I think we can contemplate these issues in the future."

"After the experience of the last 44 years, of military occupation and all
the conflict and friction, I think it will be in the best interest that the
two peoples should be separated," Areikat added.

Former U.S. National Security Council official Elliot Abrams responded to
the Palestinian official's comment, saying to USA Today that the Palestinian
demand was "a despicable form of anti-Semitism," adding: "No civilized
country would act this way."

The administration of U.S. President Barack Obama had been openly opposing
the planned Palestinian statehood bid at the United Nations, arguing that a
unilateral recognition of Palestinian independence would severely injure
attempts at a comprehensive peace deal between Israel and the Palestinians.

Speaking in an interview on Tuesday, Obama indicated that Washington did not
feel "think that it would actually lead to the outcome that we want, which
is a two-state solution."

Last week, the State Department said the U.S. would veto a resolution for
Palestinian statehood in the council, but Obama had yet to comment directly
on the matter.

"What we've said is that going to the UN is a distraction, does not solve
the problem," he said. "This issue is only going to be resolved by Israelis
and Palestinians agreeing to something."

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.