On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 7:17 AM, Noilson Caio <caiog...@gmail.com> wrote:
> @dan - is there problems if Mr. @Gardner deactivate "ossec-monitord,
> ossec-logcollector, ossec-analysisd and ossec-execd" in ossec-control
> startup script ? maybe he asking for that. i did try this in the past but i
> remember that ossec-syscheckd log showed "queue not accessible erro", i
> guess =]

Yes, there will be issues. ossec-analysisd does the analysis,
including checking the syscheck hashes. I've been thinking about
pushing the syscheck hash checking to its own daemon, but haven't done
any actual work on it. It's basically in the "shower thoughts" stage.

I can't remember off hand whether syscheckd communicates with
logcollector or some other daemon, but that one is probably necessary.
You can find out easily by killing logcollector and seeing if syscheck
complains.

ossec-monitord does stuff. What stuff? I can't remember off hand, but
basically various tasks required by OSSEC. I'd be wary of disabling
that one.

execd is safe to remove.

I think if someone only wants FIM capabilities and an extremely
minimal footprint, OSSEC may not be the package for them. Projects
like Aide are great at what they do without the fluff.
But that kind of decision is very project/requirement specific, so
don't consider this a professional opinion. :-)