Hi Ed,

A couple things that might help here. When you enable logall, you’ll want to
look inside archives.log, not alerts.log. Assuming this wasn’t a typo, here’s a
few things that might help with your problem:

If you go look at your msauth_rules.xml file, you’ll note that OSSEC receives
INFORMATION and WARNING events as level 0 alerts, meaning they aren’t retained.
To change this, add the following to your local_rules.xml file and restart
OSSEC services:

<!-- change level on warning level logs so they are retained -->

<rule id="18101" level="1" overwrite=”yes”>

    <if_sid>18100</if_sid>

    <status>^INFORMATION</status>

    <description>Windows informational event.</description>

</rule>

<!-- change level on warning level logs so they are retained -->

<rule id="18102" level="5" overwrite="yes">

    <if_sid>18100</if_sid>

    <status>^WARNING</status>

    <description>Windows warning event.</description>

</rule>

Retaining all warning logs is a reasonable approach, but retaining
informational logs in a large deployment will get rather noisy rather quickly.
You might just consider creating another custom rule looking for exactly what
you want:

        <rule id="100001" level="3">

                <if_sid>18101</if_sid>

                <id>^4$</id>

                <match>The backup operation has finished successfully</match>

                <description>A backup has completed successfully.</description>

                <options>alert_by_email</options>

        </rule>

        <rule id="100002" level="10">

                <if_sid>18103</if_sid>

                <id>^5$</id>

                <match>backup</match>

                <description>A backup has failed. Please
investigate.</description>

        </rule>

In addition, I don’t believe OSSEC recognizes CRITICAL events. These are for
things like unclean reboots.

<rule id="100003" level="7">

    <if_sid>18100</if_sid>

    <status>^CRITICAL</status>

    <description>Windows critical event</description>

    <info>NOTE: you can’t analyze logs written before OSSEC starts unless you
are using eventchannel to monitor the system logs</info>

    <group>system_error,</group>

</rule>