Hi,

you are right Tony. The syntax for *ossec.conf* is not user-friendly. You
must think in the following way:

If it is a setting like yes/no, it will be overwritten if the parser found
the same setting below. Example:

<active-response>
  <disabled>yes</disabled>
</active-response>

<active-response>
  <disabled>no</disabled>
</active-response>

The final value will be 'no'.

However, if the setting is like a *list*, it will be append it if the
parser found the same setting below. Example:
<rootcheck>
   <system_audit>/var/ossec/etc/shared/system_audit_rcl.txt</system_audit>
</rootcheck>

<rootcheck>
   <system_audit>/var/ossec/etc/shared/system_audit_ssh.txt</system_audit>
</rootcheck>

The final value will be:
<rootcheck>
   <system_audit>/var/ossec/etc/shared/system_audit_rcl.txt</system_audit>
   <system_audit>/var/ossec/etc/shared/system_audit_ssh.txt</system_audit>
</rootcheck>

This kind of merge only happens for some sections. For example, it doesn't
happen for *localfile, agentless, command, remote *and* syslog_output.*

I hope some day we can improve the syntax:

<active-responses>
    <enabled>yes</enabled>
    <white-list>10.10.10.10</white-list>

    <active-response>