They're internal to the package *for the moment*, so when we release an
OSSEC update the new rules come along with it. When you update to 2.9.1
 its going to update the rules along with it. Eventually we're going to
break the more dynamic content (rules, decoders, etc) into a separate
package.

Hope this helps!

-Scott
CTO, Atomicorp