Hi Dan ,

Thanks for the response . I am aware of the frequency and time frame
 options in the rule but it does not serve the purpose  . Let me frame the
requirement in a slightly different way .

Basically , we have 50 duplicate events generated within the period of 1
sec which we want to throttle down to 1 event per sec . This is to avoid
having user investigate too many events . To achieve this , OSSEC will have
to hold the said event *[ based on rule ID ] * for 1 sec and see how many
such events arrive within the period of 1 sec . If the number goes beyond
50 , then post just one aggregated alert instead of 50 different ones. If
that does not happen, then just release whatever is holded .

Hope that helps. If there is any workaround in OSSEC to achieve this , it
would really help to reduce the number of events .