Luca Bortot wrote:

Charles N Wyble wrote:

Is this new/custom software or postfix/exim/(insert your favorite mta here) and courier/cyrus/uw imap?

it's all custom.
We handle nearly three millions _business_ mailboxes... there's no software to our knowledge that is built on this kind of specification

I see. Did you develop this from scratch or is it based on existing software? Have you looked at sync4j (www.sync4j.com)? It is an open source java server supporting syncML (www.syncml.org). It provides calendar/addressbook services. It also has an exchange connector (server based webdav exchange2k and later only).

I will certainly look into the webdav connector, but in our software factory java is not an option for performance reasons

I understand. Perhaps your company can help impove java performance as well ? :) Take on the world I say :)

I would look at caldav. It is the up and coming darling in calendaring. It is developed by Lisa Dusseault
(http://nih.blogspot.com/) and seems to be the missing link as far as webdav calendaring goes.

that's what I was thinking about when I said "webdav"... layer mistalking :-)

Cool. Just wanted to point that out. I apologize if it seems that I am trying to point out your flaws or anything. I just have done my homework in this space and don't want others to miss out. Hmm.... I need to document all this stuff. :)

Well. 6 months ago I would have concurred with you. However recent developments have greatly increased the pace and understanding of the magic black box that is Exchange. I will be doing quite a bit of work with Ethereal
and developing tools/code to find out what goes on under the hood.

that's VERY interesting... do you see the end of the tunnel? I mean, can you assume some "beta" delivery date?

Well. That is an excellent question. If I was paid to work on it by an enterprising company that wanted to play early adopter I could more then likely have a beta out in the second quarter. I have a wide variety of contacts I have made and that want to help. I simply have not had the time/motivation to organize them and get something shipping. If your organization would like to discuss possible part time employment I would be most interested. I have some managment skills and can take code written by others and understand/modify it fairly well but from scratch coding I am still very new to.

Luca

--
Charles N Wyble
Homepage: http://www.thewybles.com/~charles

begin:vcard
fn:Charles Wyble
n:Wyble;Charles
org:OSER Consulting
adr:;;10106 Kester Ave;Mission Hills;CA;91345;USA
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Devloper
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.oserproject.org