There is a very complete, GPL MS-Exchange "replacement" server project
at http://open-xchange.org (that's how I found this OTLK-Con list). It
is now the basis for Novell's OpenGroupware app, so it is both very
full-featured, and can directly upgrade to a Novell-supported app (help,
revisions, custom development, business-decision ready deployment). It
uses open standards/protocols for client/server transactions, and really
can replace an Exchange server. However, using Outlook as a client
requires installing a MAPI plugin, and the O-X plugin will probably not
be GPL. So the best open platform for developers and users would be the
GPL O-X server, and something like the OTLK-Con Outlook plugin. If we
can get the two developer communities together, we can get both sides of
the C/S system to work for us more quickly. Why not throw the "Exchange
replacement" work we're discussing in this thread into O-X, and save the
client development for OTLK-Con, rather than reinventing both wheels?
--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein