I am running a small embeded linux server based on a hacked NSLU2 (costs
about $60). These sorts of personal servers are becoming popular.

Basically I have a small box (about the size of a dat tape) with a 80GB 2.5"
HDD connected to it by USB2 which is connected onto my wireless router at
home. It is silent and small. Specs are a 250Mhz ARM processor, 32Mb RAM

On this box I run:

- OpenSSH for remote access and IP tunnelling
- Samba 3.x for sharing out files on the LAN
- uPnP media server making available any MP3 / videos / pictures dropped
into a given samba folder available to my Philips Streamium HiFi (via
wireless LAN)
- thttpd Webserver / MySQL / PHP5 (apache is available but it is heavy on
this box)
- IRC bouncer
- dyndns update scipts etc

Basically what I would like is a 'mini-exchange' for calendar data for the
family, so for example my wife at home can see my calendar (and update it)
and I can see her calendar (and update it) even when I am at work. We both
use outlook 2003 to manage our personal mail (in PST files and IMAP) and I
have an Exchange account at work.

For more information about the NSLU2 see http://www.nslu2-linux.org

My Home network can be seen:
http://www.copperbeech.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/html/network.htm