Hi Scott,

>> It's exposing a lot of hidden conversations both internally and
externally, is that good or bad?

I appreciate the work you put in while at Microsoft to make sure issues from
guys like me were being raised internally (I mean that). The problem I had
with this post isn't that you kicked off a good discussion about
HTML5/Silverlight/WPF (which I agree needs to be had), it's that it was done
by exposing those internal conversations, without full context or evidence.

I care about Microsoft and the direction that they go in, and I care about
progress, but I care a lot more about stability. I'm happy to have
discussions that help define the direction and create progress, but airing
internal issues damages stability. There are plenty of small ISV's and IT
departments building Silverlight/WPF applications right now. A few days ago,
they were pretty sure Microsoft had it all planned out and they were
confident they were going in the right path. Now, assuming they've seen the
news articles that picked up on your opinion piece, they're not confident.
It puts business at risk. I care about that a lot more than I care about
Silverlight v HTML 5 :)

If you were just an Average Joe writing an opinion piece, it would be one
thing. As a former insider, people take what you say a lot more seriously.
And you weren't just airing your own opinions, you were airing opinions you
claim to be from Microsoft.

It's the difference between Average Joe writing a rant about the mining tax
in The Advertiser's opinion section, and Mark Latham writing a rant in the
AFR about the internal divides he's overheard within the Labor party on the
mining tax. In the first case, no one listens. In the second case, employees
at mining companies are worried about their jobs, they stop spending, and
small businesses close down. Personally, I care less about the hurt feelings
of governments and mining companies, and a lot about small businesses. I'd
argue that for the sake of stability (plus just being a nice guy), it's
better to leave internal conversations internal.

I hope that explains where I'm coming from. I'm grateful for the work you
did (and perhaps still do) as an influencer within Microsoft to improve
things. I just don't think it was a good thing for the market to do it the
way you did.

Paul

Paul Stovell