For the state boundaries GeoCommons is your friend:
http://geocommons.com/overlays/1198

For the UI you probably want to start with an existing mapping control like
DeepEarth (http://deepearth.codeplex.com/) or the bing maps control.
They'll give you lots of stuff for free including all the zooming,
selecting, etc and a base map. Plenty of examples out there to get you
started and we can help you the rest of the way.

Richard