@Greg - you've just described the essence of why I give people who do "Add
Service Reference" a rap on the knuckles - it will hurt you in the future,
I guarantee it. And no, this is nothing to do with Silverlight.

The alternative to "Add Service Reference" is to use ChannelFactory, which
gives much more control but requires a bit more effort to take control of
your generated proxy code - this is done with svcutil (or its brother
slsvcutil) which is a topic for another day.

Fiddler will help you to spot this issue.

Before a Silveright app makes a request to a different domain, it will
request a resource at the root of the domain to verify that it is allowed
to make the service call. It will check for one of these files:

   -

   Silverlight client access policy file (clientaccesspolicy.xml)
   -

   A subset of the Adobe Flash cross-domain policy file (crossdomain.xml)

If it cannot find either, it will fail hard as a defensive measure. Yes,
the error messages could be more descriptive. But I've found Fiddler to be
a godsend when doing anything HTTP-related - web, Silverlight, WPF,
whatever. Leave it running in the background and it will save you time
diagnosing what is going on between the client and server.

Cheers,
Brendan