Folks,

Thanks to a hint by Brendan in the Silverlight forum I was led to find this
utility (on my machine):

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v4.0\Tools\slsvcutil
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197958(v=vs.95).aspx> .exe"

Thank heavens for this, as it means I can now generate the service reference
code for a Silverlight project the same way I have been using svcutil for
normal projects. I haven't used the "Add Service Reference" in normal
projects for years because the code generated by svcutil is easier to
control and far less cluttered. I highly recommend that people gen the code
this way instead of using "add reference".

I was wondering what the equivalent was for SL projects and what the build
process what doing internally. Ages ago I used some monitoring tools and
various tricks to find what was happening internally but was defeated and
gave up. I'm not sure if slsvcutil existed then, but it does now. I also
fell for the bug described here
<http://blogs.msdn.com/b/silverlightws/archive/2010/04/30/workaround-for-sta
ckoverflowexception-when-using-slsvcutil-exe.aspx>  and had to use the
workaround to get slsvcutil working.

I hope this tool helps others avoid the shocking problems I had this morning
with a "corrupt" service reference.

Greg