I think we need the chicken before the egg. Meaning, who will maintain it,
is there a group that is willing to take over? An unmaintained OS project
is just as bad as an unmaintained closed one.

I think it's doable, but IMO, to make it stronger a request to Open Source
it should be be accompanied from a proposal with a plan and people backing
it up instead of ideas of what could be done.

PS. It's nice to see some activity on this list.

Miguel