Hi,

On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 13:18, Aaron Trevena wrote:

> quiet innit ?

Yes, it has been quiet.

> speaking of which - anyone care to give a status report on progress ?

Here's the status of the P5EE Project: I continue to work on it,
   http://www.officevision.com/pub/p5ee/activity.html
but alas, I have not made even an initial release of code worth talking
about. (That's why I haven't been talking about it.) ;-)

I am prodded by the slogan "release early, release often".
However, it goes without saying that there should be something
significant to release before doing so.

So let's review what the P5EE Project is.
(see http://www.officevision.com/pub/p5ee/)
Then I'll comment on it.

> MISSION
> The mission of the P5EE project is to promote the development,
> deployment, and acceptance of Enterprise Systems written in Perl.
>
> STATUS
> The P5EE is currently in an exploratory and experimental phase.
> The project is seeking more experts to describe their approach to
> Enterprise Development in Perl.
>
> DESCRIPTION
> The P5EE Project is a community of Perl professionals who understand
> the issues of Enterprise Development.
> We are collaborating to achieve the Mission of promoting Perl as a
> language for development of Enterprise Systems.
>
> In order to achieve the mission of the P5EE Project, an extended set
> of high-level architectural requirements are defined, stated as the
> Attributes of Enterprise Systems.
> Developers with experience or ambition to develop Enterprise Systems
> in Perl are encouraged to describe their Software Architecture and
> support it as a P5EE Variant.
>
> The P5EE (Perl 5 Enterprise Environment) is not a single "official"
> system, framework, or set of modules.
> Rather, separate P5EE Variants exist, supported by their various
> groups of supporters within the P5EE community.
> As these variants are better defined and developed, some variants may
> stand out from the others.
> However, at this time, we are encouraging more experts to participate
> in defining additional variants rather than trying to choose a winner
> yet.
> The P5EE project has recently refocused on this approach of
> competition among diverse solutions.

I am the only one that I know of who is working on a P5EE Variant.
(Although others are still invited to do so!  Just read the web site and
join in by documenting your accumulated wisdom on the issues!)

My "variant" is called P5EE/App-Context.
   http://www.officevision.com/pub/p5ee/App-Context
(recently updated with the text of this email)

It is based on three separate distributions of code:
   1. App-Context: the core software service "backplane", providing
      configuration, session management, serialization, synchronization,
      data sharing, message passing, and remote call services.
   2. App-Repository: provides a logical-relational interface to data
      sources which is efficient with DBI but not strictly bound to it.
      It provides for the integration of a rich set of data sources
      under a single, logical API.  Essentially, the App-Repository
      distribution lays the groundwork for persistent business objects.
   3. App-Widget: provides a library of HTML-based widgets, useful as
      high-level components in building user interfaces.

I expect to release these three as soon as I have it them working
together to provide a basic data maintenance and reporting application.

Obviously, this is taking longer than I planned because I am busy making
money for my employer (of which I am part owner) by providing real value
to real customers.  I continue to try to align the interests of my
employer with the development of P5EE/App-Context, and this is slowly
but surely progressing.

If you want to know a timeframe, I am guessing that within the next
quarter (end of June), I will release my first real releases of
App-Context, App-Repository, and App-Widget.

My "variant" is called P5EE/App-Context.
with a somewhat dated summary here:
[...]

In the mean time, it is good to use the P5EE mailing list as a place to
discuss issues relevant and interesting to the community.

Stephen