Joseph is a tall, slender Massai warrior.  Some time ago he met a man along a
dusty African road who told him the story of Christ and God's love that made
forgiveness for sin possible.  Joseph became a believer and rejoiced in the
"Jesus story."

He became a fiery witness, to the point that he later made the long journey
from Africa to Amsterdam for an Evangelist conference.  His greatest hope was
to meet Billy Graham, one of the speakers in person.  Robert was a staff
member in the conference who screened the few persons allowed to visit Dr.
Graham.  Joseph's story convinced him so much that he was allowed to tell his
conversion experience to Billy in person.

"After I met Jesus, I was so excited that I just knew everyone in my village
would be happy to meet him also.  So I went door-to-door telling everyone I
met about the cross of Jesus and the salvation it offered.  To my amazement my
people not only didn't care, they became hostile. The men held me to the
ground while the women began beating me with barbed wire.  I was dragged from
the village and left to die in the bush."

Joseph somehow managed to crawl to a water hole, and there, after two days of
passing in and out of consciousness, found he had the strength to get up.  He
was puzzled about the hostile reception from family and friends whom he had
known all his life.  "I decided that I must have left something important out
of the story I told them about Jesus.  So I practiced it over and over, then
limped back to tell them the good news."

"I went again, from hut-to-hut telling about Jesus who died for us so we might
find forgiveness and know the living God.  Again they held me down and I was
beaten, opening anew the former wounds.  They dragged me unconscious outside
the camp and I was left for dead."

"I woke up two days later, scarred and bruised, but still alive.  For the
third time I went back into my home village and started to witness.  But they
were waiting for me.  I was set upon, thrown to the ground and as the beatings
began I passed out.  When I awakened this time I was in my own bed.  The folks
who had been whipping on me had now become my nurses.  Everyone in my village
had become a believer in Christ." After telling Billy Graham his story, Joseph
lifted his colorful African
shirt and showed his scars.

Afterward, Billy said to his staff, "I'm not worthy to untie his shoes, and he
wanted to meet me?"

From: Immanuel, By Michael Card, Thomas Nelson, Inc., pp172-174, arr.