Hi Chris,

Just got back from out of town. Thanks very much for all the good info. I changed my Rockbox installation from official to daily build and I believe the e280 is now seeing the 16G card. I had a friend verify that the card is formatted fat32 but I don't have a card reader so I guess the next step is to purchase one to load up the card. I travel a lot and I'm loving the move from bulky CD player to the e280.

Lee Mounger

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Chaltain" <cchalt...@austin.rr.com>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 4:52 PM
Subject: Re: Sansa e280 & 16gb Card Problem

What do you mean when you say the memory card isn't recognized? What version of Rockbox are you running?

I have a Sansa e280 myself running Rockbox, but I only have a 2G card in it at the moment. I've been thinking of getting a 8G card, but I haven't yet. I tell you this so you know that what I'm saying is based on what I've read and what I understand, and it isn't based on actual experience.

If you're running an official version of Rockbox, currently 3.2, then you don't have a USB stack in rockbox, so as you probably know, your Sansa boots into the Sansa firmware whenever you plug it into the USB port of your PC. The Sansa firmware won't work with HC cards, so you won't see your 16G card in the My computer listing on your PC when you plug your Sansa in. So if this is what you mean when you say your card isn't recognized then you have your answer.

You should be able to format your memory card and transfer files to it with a memory card reader on your PC and then put it back into your Sansa. With the Sansa running Rockbox, you should then see it in your Files listing. If you're not seeing the card at this point then I'm not sure what the problem is. If you haven't already, I'd suggest formatting the card as FAT32. I'm not sure what FS Rockbox recognizes, but my 2G cards are FAT32.

If you're running a daily build then you should have the USB stack in rockbox, and your Sansa shouldn't be booting into the Sansa FW when you plug it into the USB port of your PC, and you should see the memory card in your My Computer listing. At least, this is my understanding. I also think that this USB stack will be included in the official versions of Rockbox shortly.

I hope this helps. If not, let me know. You may also want to post your question on the Rockbox mailing list (being sure to follow the list etiquette) or search the Rockbox site for more information.