From: Pc-audio [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org] On Behalf Of Dane
Trethowan
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2017 9:18 PM
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: Re: sound input on the mac mini

Hi!

Yes, the input socket is a line-in standard and - unlike some Windows sound
cards - doesn't provide power either so you have some alternatives at your
disposal, I'll give you a link with more details at the bottom of this
eMail.

A microphone can be used with this socket but it needs to be of the battery
powered kind - in other words the microphone has to provide amplification.

On the Mac Mini a microphone is usually connected via the output socket
believe it or not.

This doesn't make sense when you read it but when you think about it
connecting a microphone to the output socket makes perfect sense.

Suppose you have a set of Apple Earbuds or compatible headset with an inline
microphone or similar, all you have to do is to plug the headset into the
line-out/headphones socket and you have both your headphones and microphone
there.

I know that various adapters are available for this socket including one
which will allow the oconnection of the conventional two plug stereo headset
- one plug being for the headphones themselves and the other being for the
microphone on the headset -.

Some more information about the audio in and out on the Mac Mini before we
move on.

Both these jacks are capable of accepting digital signals which is handy to
know if you're connecting to speakers with a digital input, connecting to a
source such as a TV or similar for recording from a digital output and so
on.

Now if the microphone situation with the audio in and out sockets is just
far too annoying then the easiest way to get around all this is to use one
of the USB sockets for either a dedicated USB microphone or - perhaps a
better option in your firneds case - a USB adapter.

This adapter is affectively a USB Sound Card dongle which provides the
connections for a powered microphone - standard Windows PC type - or other
microphone so you'll have to do a little research here into what's
available.

So here ends my explanation and I hope you followed along <smile> and here's
the support link from the Apple site.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3331295?start=0