You've plenty of options.

AirPlay is getting rather old now and - as you'd rather stay away from iDevices - then AirPlay is really a No Go option given you want to play FLAC and the like.

Perhaps it might help if you could give us a rundown of equipment you currently have or you think you might use, you've said your Wife has an iPhone so that alone indicates that integrating Apps into your streaming system would be a nice option? That can be done.

If you're using Windows 7 plus on your computer then you can stream content by using the built-in Cast To Device setting in Windows or Windows Media player itself using DLNA

There are heaps of DLNA compatible speakers around or - if you'd rather use your existing amplifier - then a Tuner/Streamer attached to it - preferably using a digital link - would be a good and logically option.

Further to all of this you might abandon your computer for storage of your music and choose to use a network compatible hard drive which gives you more flexibility, the ability to stream your music remotely and so on.

This brief introduction - for want of a better word - only scrapes the surface.