If you have nothing to compare the speaker of the VR Stream to then yep its probably very good audio however I have plenty of devices around my house - roughly the same size - which I can compare the Stream to and - given that - I can tell you that audio from the internal speaker of the Stream is not good, is muffled and should be - in my view - better than it is given other basic devices are these days.

You mention listening to music through headphones etc and you're quite right as you get the full benefit of better audio however I do invite you - if you haven't already done so - to listen to music through the internal speaker of say an iPhone 6S or a Samsung Galaxy S6 and you'll soon hear a huge difference.

Again no, not an ideal listening environment but its certainly a vast improvement on what the Stream gives you and through a smaller speaker.

I will say however that the audio from the second generation of stream is quite an improvement upon that of the first generation.

On 2/05/2017 9:28 AM, Tom Kaufman wrote:
I've never thought of the Victor Stream's audio as being "muffled"...having
said this, I think of it more like the sound of a 6-transistor radio!  If you plug it
into a good speaker or a good set of headphones, you do get a pretty good sound!  But
no...if I'm going to listen to any music on that thing, I'd much prefer an external
speaker or headphones!
Tom Kaufman

-----Original Message-----
From: Pc-audio [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org] On Behalf Of Dane
Trethowan
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2017 5:34 PM
To: PC Audio Discussion List <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Subject: Re: Victor Reader Stream 2nd Generation

I just shake my head though when it comes to that muffled speaker for
audio, all my phones do far better than what the Stream does but then
again audio has always been a problem with the Stream.

The handling of multiple format files - for recording as well as
playback - is a welcom addition and - at the very least - the quality of
audio from the headphones jack seems to be quite acceptable.