Although the effect sounds great initially, it's really not good to do this to
files. Most I've heard like this actually introduce a fraction of a second
delay between channels to achieve this effect. If you get a file like this and
want to fix it, you can just pan one channel to the center while muting the
other. I've heard the term stereoize to describe what you're hearing, and I try
to fix this whenever I come across a file like this. If you simply convert one
of these files to mono without muting one of the channels, then the file has a
weird sound quality to it because of the channel delay being pressed into one
channel.
Matthew