It's confusing -- portaudio is configured to allow either MMIO or ASIO.  I'm
thinking about taking the MMIO stuff out since it's already covered in the
other API option.  But I can't help worrying that PA's MMIO implementation
will work for some cases that mine won't.  Meanwhile I'll put in a hack to
improve clarity at least.

Sounds like I migth be able to get this to fail on my end just by repeatedly
turning DSP and ASIO on and off... I'll try that as soon as I can stomach
booting my old Windows box again :)