They're quite different.  bp~ is the cheapest possible bandpass filter
(as far as I know).  vcf~ is a one-pole complex filter whose outputs are
the real and imaginry parts.  The real part may be used as a resonant
bandpass filter and the imaginary as a resonant low-pass filter, but
they can be combined to make other possibilities.

It's possible to graph their frequency responses using the help patch
"H10.measurement.pd' in 3.audio.examples.

cheers
Miller